Looking to add unique flair to your wedding? Why not make it a costume wedding? From very theatrical to historically accurate, we stock a wide range of costumes for the bride, groom and the entire wedding party.
Booking a Malabar Wedding:
- Set the date. Or at least set the month. It's important for us to know when to reserve costumes for you. This is especially crucial if your date falls anywhere around Halloween (a popular season for costume weddings, of course).
- Send a scouting party. We recommend giving us a call first. Let us know what you're interested in looking at: bridesmaid gowns? A knight costume for the groom? Something pretty for the Mother of the Bride? Then come in with one or two other people to browse, take photos, and make sure to start a file with our Wedding & Event Department.
- Determine the aesthetic. Is there a colour scheme? Would you like your wedding party to match, or leave it up to personal taste? Is there a specific century that you would like to stick to? Do you require something custom-made? Our Wedding and Event Department can help you with all of these questions.
- Schedule your first fittings. We suggest no more than four people at a time, so we can give each person adequate attention. We will take measurements, allow your wedding party to try on costumes, and make alteration notes.
- As many weddings usually involve plans to lose weight by the big day, we recommend a second fitting closer to the wedding day. This is especially important if the initial fitting occurs more than a month in advance.
- The rental period is for 1 to 3 days. All alterations and cleaning costs are included in the rental price. Once costume selections are confirmed, the rental fee must be paid in full. This should take place at the first fitting, prior to any alterations.
- If cancellations do occur, a cancellation fee of 50% will apply, if alterations have already been done.
Some popular themes:
- Medieval: Kings and Queens
- Wild West: Cowboys and Saloon Girls
- 1920s: Gangsters & Flappers
- Victorian: Bustle Gowns & Tail suits
"My husband and I were married in a Medieval-style wedding in October 2007. We are from Ottawa but got married in Toronto. The services we received from Malabar were always friendly and truly creative — the help and creative vision we received proved invaluable to making our wedding celebration the beautiful, unique and truly happy days they turned out to be. They really went above and beyond on so many occasions. Our sincerest thanks!"
— Tracey Pinder, Ottawa ON
Looking for some inspiration? Check out our Rental Photo Gallery to see some of our most popular wedding costume choices.